Tuesday, February 17, 2009

How was YOUR day?


I have been challenged to let you know that the adventure does sometimes leave Tina's home and visit others.... I'm still not sure if I'm happy about that or scared.


Let me break down a little of how yesterday went.


The morning and afternoon were rather uneventful... although not absent of all drama. That part I'll have to save for later. It all started to unravel around 4:00 when Kristen decided to play soccer in the living room. I think it was kick #2 that cut that game short. I'm only glad it wasn't the 4 foot picture window only inches away. Yep... right through the window. You know, the one that is 50 years old and isn't removable. We're still figuring out how to fix it.


About an hour later I went to the furnace room in the basement. It smelled funny. I called Keith and he smelled it too. A strong, kind of pungent smell. I thought it smelled like a chemical or something kind of hot. Keith thought it smelled like gas... kind of. We looked like dogs for a while as we sniffed around the basement and couldn't find the source. An hour later we checked again... still smelled. Now what do we do?


It was getting close to bedtime and I really didn't want to go to bed wondering. Then Keith said he felt a little dizzy and woozy when he went into the furnace room. Sigh... I hate these kinds of situations. So I called the fire department hoping they would give good counsel and maybe just send a guy out to test our basement air. No such luck... he told me that I would have to call 911 in order for them to come.


So, with my heart pounding, I dialed those famous numbers. The lady told us we should evacuate since we thought it could be gas. The first fire truck rounded the corner moments later and I thought, "Oh, this isn't so bad. They just sent the small truck w/ a couple of guys." Ha! Right behind him with their lights flashing and sirens blaring were. . . . .


Fire truck #2,


Fire truck #3,


Fire truck #4, Each filled with 3 to 5 firemen in each truck. (side note: This is Waterloo.... volunteer fire department. Add that up that's close to 12-15 firemen. Yeah, they were training at the station so they ALL came. The ENTIRE city's department!)

an ambulance,

and the police...


ALL with their lights and sirens.


I have at least one regret. In the evacuation I didn't grab my camera!!

So, after the ambulance hauled Keith away to the back of their truck for an evaluation and drawing of blood since he had complained to me about feeling light headed, and after 15 muddy firemen marched through my house (I am sooooo glad I had foresight to send them through the garage and not through the front door.... one small moment of sanity), they reportedly found.... nothing!

"Sorry, ma'am, but we smell nothing! We tested for three different gases... uhhh, nothing."

After apologizing profusely they assured us that we had done the right thing. Personally, I think they loved the fact that they got an actual call out on their training night. Something about men and being the fireman.... (rolling eyes). We went inside and to the room in question-- we could still smell it!!

If you read this week's paper and see the report titled "Local Pastor Wastes City's Funds"... that's us.

I talked to mom later. Being the support she always is she could only say, "I'm so glad you didn't visit me tonight!"

So, as a follow up, we all feel fine. The smell was gone this morning. No clue. Kristen slept with us just as a precaution. This will be our last effort to keep up with the Power's adventures. We're good for a loooooong time. Sorry, Tina, you are on your own!!


3 comments:

Tina said...

It is just as funny the second time I heard it . . . You know, I heard someone else tell a similar story and it ended up that they smelled cat pee. . .

I do have to say that it has been a rather uneventful week at the Powers' home this week (I say that a bit prematurely because it is only Wednesday). Now I think I know why - it must be that twin thing . . .

I am happy to share the adventures. . .

Anonymous said...

Kerry - We had a "chemical" smell that smelled like hot electrical wires for some time now. It was strong in the afternoon in one room. We finally figured it out - it was a build-up of heat between the plastic weather plastic and the window. We took off the plastic covering yesterday & realized that was the culprit. Did you weatherize any south or west windows where the sun shines on them? Just a thought about the cause of your 911 smell. :)

Terry Flaming

Kerry said...

Hi,Terry! (you'll alway be "Mrs. Flaming to me. :0) First of all-- hello! Great to hear from you.

Thanks for the tip. I smelled the smell in a basement room which doesn't have any windows. I haven't smelled it since... so it's a mystery to me. The fire dept. said sometimes the furnace lets off a burst of gas which leaves a smell. I'll definetely scout out more options next time!
Thanks.