Thursday, July 9, 2009

Parenting advice 101 . . .

Buff and I had the privilege of having the oldest grandchild for both sides of the family. We have felt for a long time that this privilege comes with an enormous responsibility to set a good parenting example for all of our siblings following along behind us . . .

So let us share some of our wisdom with you . . .

(I know you didn't ask for our input, but I'll bet you're going to keep reading because you're curious . . . )

One area that we desire to instill in our children is hard work. When there is a job to be done, you do your best, work your hardest and don't quit until the job is done. (I know, I know. I can sense you oooing and aahing at our amazing wisdom. It's deep.)

Last week was a turning point in our home. We have stressed. We have taught. We have disciplined. So we put our boys to work.

The tasks:

Owen - clean off the stairs.

Brice - clean your room.

Sounded reasonable enough.

Like any good parent - you inspect what you expect. I came around the corner to check on Owen and his amazing progress. Imagine my beaming face when I found this . . .

(Zzzzzz . . . . snore . . . . zzzzzz . . . . snore . . . .)

Okay, okay, we still have work to do . . . but he is only four . . .

Brice. He's ten. I'm sure he is setting a better example for his brother and sisters . . . . He's a good son - working diligently on the task set before him . . . .


Brice. Ahem, Brice . . . I'm talking about you . . . at least get up and wash your feet . . .

(Zzzzzz . . . . snore . . . . zzzzzz . . . . snore . . . .)

Sooo, that is about all the wisdom we have to share. Shall I put all this in book form for all of you so that you can have kids that turn out just like mine? Just act surprised at Christmas . . . I'll even put it in a similar format so you can just add it to the Hawk family cookbook Kerry put together last year.

Your Welcome . . .

2 comments:

Morgen said...

What time of day was it? : ) Midnight? : ) You're such slave drivers.

Too cute. Thanks for sharing.

Tina said...

Jen,

Yeah, all this happened before lunch. It wasn't a very productive morning.

Brice had just returned from a camping sleepover (where no one ever sleeps) and I think Owen had a touch of a cold . . . excuses, excuses, excuses. ;0)